SNIP THE QUOTED TEXT PLEASE!

Douglas S. Saylor absdoug at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 01:03:59 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-13 at 09:21 +1200, chris wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 13:50 -0700, Ernest Doub wrote:

> > > Regardless of the "how to's" and "FAQ's" and shortcuts and this and that
> > > and yadda yadda yadda, it's a shiite interface, non-intuitive, NOT
> > > oriented for "Desktop multitasking"...so it doesn't matter. It was MEANT
> > > FOR A NETBOOK and looks like a mobile phone interface. They can document
> > > the daylights out of it and give the buttons more sparkle and yadda
> > > yadda yadda, it's still going to be crap. You can put as many strings of
> > > pearls on a pig as you want, but it's still a bloody pig, end of story.
> > >
> > > I can only sum up that both Unity and Gnome-Shell are insults that have
> > > been thrown at experienced desktop-linux users; they're insults to the
> > > intelligence and competency of those of us that have been around long
> > > enough, and more than proof in the putting that the "higher ups" and
> > > developers could care less about those of us "in the trenches".
> > >
> > > MY $0.20 AUD (which is about, um, what, $0.30 USD now?) ;)
> > > --
> > > yankdownunder
> > > reg'd linux user #267497
> > >

> > At this point I have to throw my $1US (the current amount required to
> > buy what 2 centsUS used to purchase) into the Unity discussion.
> > It is /not/ user friendly for those of us with manipulative
> > disabilities.  Multi-key shortcuts are great if you have young supple
> > hands.  If you are older and have arthritic hands, or as in my case,
> > have both wrist and shoulder injuries limiting mobility of these
> > joints (thanks to a trucking accident caused by a drunk driver) it
> > doesn't work as well as the previous release.
> > This release should be called kinder-buntu as it is still in
> > primary/grammar school.
> > All of the documentation is just wonderful but still doesn't address
> > the problems of not being able to access a lot of functionality with
> > context related right clicks.
> > I would suggest that you perform some time and motion studies on the
> > differences in productivity are between Gnome and Unity desktops for
> > most common tasks.  These will provide the most information if they
> > are done with windows users given the same amount of training time on
> > each desktop before doing the studies.
> > As has been said before, if I wanted a netbook/tablet/smartphone I'd
> > be using one of those plugged into my full sized keyboard and monitor.
> >  I don't.  I want all of the features, speed, and convenience that a
> > fully developed desktop provides.  I say this as someone who used and
> > Android 2.2 tablet for mobile access.  My primary use is as a book
> > reader.  I do use it for web access away from my desktop but it is
> > only a tool with limited capabilities.  Please don't try to push a
> > viable alternative to windows into a small box.  It is not a good fit
> > and will force people to look for other solutions than Ubuntu.
> >
> > --
> > "The Tree of Liberty must be watered from time to time with the blood
> [...]

   DID I JUST SCROLL DOWN (yes, I am yelling) FOR SOMEONE TO SAY "well
put" (too lazy to capitalize too I also notice). I really, REALLY was
on-board with the top-posting issue. Now ...it really DOES seem
ridiculous. Long pages of quotes ...I skip to the bottom, THEN scroll up
if needed. Waste of time, as is reading this list if people can't trim
quoted text. Going back to deleting most stuff posted & perhaps
everything unless I got a question to post. I'm just saying! I'm only
going to tolerate bottom-posting if people put some work into this &
TRIM THE DAMN QUOTES! I *JUST* read that quoted text for Christ's sake!