Brief thoughts on Unity

Cybe R. Wizard cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 12 22:37:08 UTC 2011

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 13:50:04 -0700
Ernest Doub <hideserted at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Stephen Kuhn
> <yank.down.under at gmx.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 20:19 +0100, Tony Pursell wrote:
> >
> >> Having persevered with Unity I am now OK with it, although I do
> >> have a few issue with it.
> >>
> >> There is quite a bit of configuration that you can do, and there
> >> are lots of keyboard short cuts which make for slick operating.
> >> Unfortunately, it is not well documented yet, but there are
> >> discussions about how to tackle that problem.
> >>
> >> Here are some links that may help you to understand Unity better,
> >
> > Regardless of the "how to's" and "FAQ's" and shortcuts and this and
> > that and yadda yadda yadda, it's a shiite interface, non-intuitive,
> > NOT oriented for "Desktop multitasking"...so it doesn't matter. It
> > was MEANT FOR A NETBOOK and looks like a mobile phone interface.
> > They can document the daylights out of it and give the buttons more
> > sparkle and yadda yadda yadda, it's still going to be crap. You can
> > put as many strings of pearls on a pig as you want, but it's still
> > a bloody pig, end of story.
> >
> > I can only sum up that both Unity and Gnome-Shell are insults that
> > have been thrown at experienced desktop-linux users; they're
> > insults to the intelligence and competency of those of us that have
> > been around long enough, and more than proof in the putting that
> > the "higher ups" and developers could care less about those of us
> > "in the trenches".
> >
> > MY $0.20 AUD (which is about, um, what, $0.30 USD now?) ;)
> > --
> > yankdownunder
> > reg'd linux user #267497
> >

> At this point I have to throw my $1US (the current amount required to
> buy what 2 centsUS used to purchase) into the Unity discussion.
> It is /not/ user friendly for those of us with manipulative
> disabilities.  Multi-key shortcuts are great if you have young supple
> hands.  If you are older and have arthritic hands, or as in my case,
> have both wrist and shoulder injuries limiting mobility of these
> joints (thanks to a trucking accident caused by a drunk driver) it
> doesn't work as well as the previous release.
> This release should be called kinder-buntu as it is still in
> primary/grammar school.
> All of the documentation is just wonderful but still doesn't address
> the problems of not being able to access a lot of functionality with
> context related right clicks.
> I would suggest that you perform some time and motion studies on the
> differences in productivity are between Gnome and Unity desktops for
> most common tasks.  These will provide the most information if they
> are done with windows users given the same amount of training time on
> each desktop before doing the studies.
> As has been said before, if I wanted a netbook/tablet/smartphone I'd
> be using one of those plugged into my full sized keyboard and monitor.
>  I don't.  I want all of the features, speed, and convenience that a
> [...]

You'd say, then, that this part of the desktop team's mission statement
is missing the mark?
 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Mission
accessible

    * Accessibility ensures that everybody can benefit from our
      desktop. We do not care about 90% of our users, we care about
      100% of them. This is about ensuring that users with
      disabilities, and users who speak languages other than English,
      can use the desktop as efficiently as anyone else.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
	Larry Niven, Steven Barnes