HDMI audio output

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Jun 11 09:30:24 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 06:57 +1200, chris wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-06-11 at 07:32 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> > On 11 June 2011 16:48, chris <chevhq at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Yes.... Done all that.  You would think by now, that the Dev's would
> > > have this working.
> >
> > There was a point made earlier in the thread that the card you are
> > using for your HDMI output may not have audio capability.  Forgive me
> > if I missed the reply, the thread has got rather long.  Have you
> > actually confirmed that the card with the HDMI output is capable of
> > providing the audio?  If it is not so capable then there is not much
> > the devs can do about it.
> >
> > Colin
> >

> Not too sure how to put this.  The lappy is dual boot, and of course
> works perfectly under win7.  Pavucontrol lists the 4 spidf out puts
> which belong to the Nvidia card, and in the correct order.
> I can choose the nvidia sound driver under alsa mixer, and it outputs to
> the internal speakers/headphones etc.
> Note Ric No hardware issues.
>
> What I can't get is Hdmi audio output.  Basically that means when I hook
> the thing up to the tv, I have to use windows,  Not a major issue, just
> that I much prefer to us Ubuntu/
>
> Have googled extensively,  and at the moment am following the
> information at   ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/gpu-hdmi-audio...
> and working my way through the information posted there.
>
> Also have followed the information here
> Audio/InstallingLinuxAlsaDriverModules - Ubuntu Wiki
> To up date the Alsa driver to the latest version.
>
> After doing this, I was able to access the nvidi HDMI audio output, so
> maybe with a little more tweaking I can get it to work.
>
> Given the use of laptops these days I would have thought that the devs
> would have had this issue sorted by now.  That is just an opinion mind
> you.

I have been trying to remember what I did to get my Acer Revo working
with my TV via HDMI.  I know I had to select the HDMI output in Sound
Preferences and made sure it wasn't muted, but I am wondering if there
was also something in the Nvidia set up. (I am using the proprietary
driver which has its own extensive setup program).  Or even in the TVs
setup for the HDMI source (it might have had the sound volume turned
right down).

Unfortunately I cannot get my Revo working just at this moment to check
all this out.

One thing I do know was that I did not have to dive into alsamixer.

Tony