Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Jun 9 15:11:56 UTC 2011

Douglas Pollard wrote:
> Roy,Your post says if sdc does not show up in fdisk do the following.
> It does show up, then what??
>
> I had been typing Getit instead of gedit so kept getting no such
> command.  Finally realised it.:-[     I don't understand gedit or
> fstab so I need to do some reading this morning to understand what
> you are having me do.

Please don't change your /etc/fstab. It might be difficult to recover
from mistakes. And it isn't necessary to put the configuration in your
fstab if you simply want to mount a partition. If you want to read
something about fstab, try this page:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab>.

I think the real problem is, that people try to give you instructions
for the command line which unfortunately don't exactly fit your
configuration and as you are not familiar with these CLI instructions
you can't easily adapt them to your your current situation. I would
suggest you try to find a Windows machine and do a file system check of
your 2TB partition on that machine. The partiton you checked
successfully yesterday was a 250GB partition.

The problem with your Ubuntu system is that it is changing all the time.
If I understand your previous posts correctly, once your 2TB partition
was at /dev/sdc1 then it was at /dev/sde1 and who knows where it is now.

If you can't find a Windows machine, you could of course try to do the
file system check with Linux, like Jordon suggested. But to get CLI
instructions which work with copy&paste, you should have a system which
has a constant configuration until the problem is solved. That means you
should not plug / unplug any USB disks and keep the machine running.
Then execute the command

sudo fdisk -l

and post the output here. Then we know where that 2TB disk is today.

> Understanding is likely as important as
> getting the disk working.  The first question I have for now is that
> my 2t drive does not show up in fstab at all. The two internal
> drives do.

That's how it should be. The USB disks don't need to be in your fstab
because they are mounted when you plug them in.

Nils