Re: Askubuntu, was : Re: Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal release review from other users‏

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Thu Jun 9 09:01:15 UTC 2011

On 8 June 2011 19:00, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> If I have to explain, you are missing some really *very* obvious stuff here.

Not really. I'm trying to figure out what you find misleading because
if you do, others might, and thus it may need some fixing.

> So, consider:
> Someone starts a site:
>
> www.askalanpope.co.uk
>
> It has your face as the main image and says that it is *the* place to
> go for all your Alan-Pope-related queries. Its logo is your signature
> and it uses your handwriting in its design.
>
> Who would you tend to guess ran it?

Again, Canonical people and Ubuntu community members helped with this.
Your example indicates I (as the name mentioned in the domain) had no
hand in it. With AskUbuntu plenty of Ubuntu community members, and
some Canonical employees greatly contributed to the project.

As I understand it the original intention was to have ask.ubuntu.com
but askubuntu.com was chosen instead. Perhaps ask.ubuntu.com would
have more gravitas or authenticity given it's hosted in the ubuntu.com
domain. However there are other examples of 'official' stuff in the
project which do not use *.ubuntu.com. Here's some examples of
'official' stuff (whatever official means) which doesn't seem to
mislead others?

http://revu.ubuntuwire.com/
http://ubuntuforums.org/
http://launchpad.net/ubuntu
http://hudson.qa.ubuntu-uk.org/
http://ubuntu-news.org/

So what's wrong with the askubuntu.com domain?

Al.