apt discrepancy?

Mike McGinn mikemcginn at mcginnweb.net
Thu Jun 9 01:38:37 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, June 08, 2011 20:52:21 Jared Norris wrote:
> On 9 June 2011 10:32, Dave Stevens <geek at uniserve.com> wrote:
> >
> > intentionally

> > > By default no, unless you tell it to.  By default it will only do point
> > > releases, the only way it would attempt to upgrade to another release,
> > > say 10.10 is if you change your sources.list and now days there is a
> > > much cleaner way of doing that.  Dist-Upgrade is more intelligent then
> > > upgrade too.
> > >
> > > dist-upgrade
> > >
> > >     dist-upgrade, in addition to performing the function of upgrade,
> > >
> > > also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of
> > > packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and it will
> > > attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less
> > > important ones if necessary. The /etc/apt/sources.list file contains a
> > > list of locations from which to retrieve desired package files. See
> > > also apt_preferences(5) for a mechanism for overriding the general
> > > settings for individual packages.
> >
> > Thanks very much, I've done as you suggested and although the message is
> > still
> > out of whack the updates have been done.
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > --
> > Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to
> > grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after
> > all.
> >
> > Douglas Adams in one of the Hitchiker novels...
> >
> > --
>
> Just for laughs I logged into my server here at home (Ubuntu 10.04.2) via
> ssh and was greeted with something very similar. Mine is showing 52
> packages can be updated and that 25 updates are security updates.
>
> And to confirm I did all the instructions in this thread and this does not
> rectify it either, my system is up to date everywhere except the MOTD. Is
> this perhaps a bug in how this information is gathered or perhaps what is
> triggering a refresh of this information as it appears to be static over
> time instead of dynamic. Sorry I ran out of time to track this down
> properly but just wanted to confirm that this isn't isolated to your
> machine only.
>

> Regards,
>
> Jared Norris
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris
I have seen this behavior on my 10.04 machines to. I cured by "rm  -f
/etc/motd.tail". This will force it to update next tie. I have seen two
different numbers for packages to be updated and security updates. It is
confusing until you figure out what is going on.

--
Mike McGinn		FACOCM
You won't look forward to the trip!