apt discrepancy?

Jordon Bedwell jordon at envygeeks.com
Wed Jun 8 23:27:30 UTC 2011

On 6/8/2011 6:17 PM, Dave Stevens wrote:
> doesn't that last one upgrade the distro? I'm running 10.04 intentionally for
> a server and don't want to change versions, just to keep updates happening for
> the package that are already installed.

By default no, unless you tell it to.  By default it will only do point
releases, the only way it would attempt to upgrade to another release,
say 10.10 is if you change your sources.list and now days there is a
much cleaner way of doing that.  Dist-Upgrade is more intelligent then
upgrade too.

dist-upgrade
    dist-upgrade, in addition to performing the function of upgrade,
also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of
packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and it will
attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less
important ones if necessary. The /etc/apt/sources.list file contains a
list of locations from which to retrieve desired package files. See also
apt_preferences(5) for a mechanism for overriding the general settings
for individual packages.