swap problems

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Wed Jun 8 12:36:57 UTC 2011

Hi,
I have a puzzling problem.
My system (AMD Phenom II 4-core with 4 Gb memory) uses gradually more
swap space. OS: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid)
I have gkrellm running from the start and see the swap space increase
from 0 Mb to now (>8 days on) 4639 Mb.
Moreover my free memory is also decreasing (must be logical?). when I
start I have approx. 2Gb free and now it's barely 700 Mb.
Has anybody an idea how to see what programs are so sloppy written that
they don't release memory when they exit, or, which processes refuse to
disappear and why the swap space isn't released.
When I try swapoff it can't perform as it doesn't have enough memory
which I think is logical as > 4 Gb cannot be stored in memory. But why
doesn't swapoff simply remove all garbage, except the space used by
running processes.
I know, the most simple solution is to restart but IMHO it is M$
practice to program sloppy but I expected Open Source programs to behave
better.
Has anybody ideas?
Joep