HDMI audio output

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Tue Jun 7 22:36:43 UTC 2011

On 06/07/2011 05:49 PM, chris wrote:
> Hi,
> I have successfully set up nvidia twinview with 10.04, but would also
> like to get the audio output through hdmi as well.
> Googling has given me some ideas, but they have not worked.
>
> Any thoughts, ideas, appreciated.

As far as I know, this is a hardware problem.  Your video card, which has
the hdmi output, has no audio capability. You'd have to get the output of
the sound card somehow into the hdmi driver circuitry of the video card.
Maybe there are some real new video cards that have an audio input, I
don't know.  My Toshiba TV set has an audio input specifically
designed to work with hdmi-1.  I connect the hdmi from the computer to
the hdmi-1 input, and a separate stereo audio line to the 3.5mm audio
jack on the TV.*  I had to manipulate the internal TV programming to
allow the video and audio to work simultaneously--that's one of the
options, but apparently not the default--and now whatever is coming
out of the computer can be viewed and heard on the TV.

I have only 6 x 4 monitors (or whatever the old standard is called),
so the video card is putting out that format, and that's what I get
on the TV, not the full 16 x 9  that the set is capable of.

* You can buy a tee connector that will allow you to connect your audio
card output to your local speakers and also to your TV input.  Some
audio cards have two outputs--mine does, but I don't know what it was
intended for. Both seem to be identical.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley