Ubuntu can't see usb drive

Douglas Pollard dougpol1 at verizon.net
Tue Jun 7 00:20:44 UTC 2011

On 06/06/2011 08:04 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> mount -t vfat /dev/sdc /mnt
douglasdoug at ubuntuDoug:~$ mount -t vfat /dev/sdc /mnt
mount: only root can do that
douglasdoug at ubuntuDoug:~$ sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdc /mnt
[sudo] password for douglasdoug:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc,
        dmesg | tail  or so

douglasdoug at ubuntuDoug:~$ dmesg | tail  or so
tail: cannot open `or' for reading: No such file or directory
tail: cannot open `so' for reading: No such file or directory
douglasdoug at ubuntuDoug:~$
  by the way there is a 150 or 160 gig drive not sure which it is that
is USB.   Aha! It was turned off it is now on and shows up in places and
in disk utility.  I am going to plug the 2TB file into my wifes netbook
and see if can be seen it in PLACES.              Doug