Ubuntu can't see usb drive

Douglas Pollard dougpol1 at verizon.net
Mon Jun 6 20:13:27 UTC 2011

On 06/06/2011 03:52 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 15:34 -0400, Douglas Pollard wrote:

>>> OK here is what I am getting from a terminal entry
>>> douglasdoug at ubuntuDoug:~$ sudo blkid -c /dev/null
>>> [sudo] password for douglasdoug:
>>> /dev/sda1: UUID="88a2c848-eb4f-43fa-947e-92aa67e09ec7" TYPE="ext4"
>>> /dev/sda5: UUID="c8cf4480-e22d-43f5-81ca-e7ec1bbd053f" TYPE="swap"
>>> /dev/sdb1: UUID="14b3e293-a312-4c77-8548-c237d4543c41" SEC_TYPE="ext2"
>>> TYPE="ext3"
>>> /dev/sdh1: UUID="04D2-B038" TYPE="vfat"
>>> /dev/sdi1: UUID="8A82-72E5" TYPE="vfat"
>>> douglasdoug at ubuntuDoug:~$
>>>

>>> AS best I can tell sdh1 and sdi1 are my 150g usb drive and a 250 g usb
>>> drive
>>> I don't see my 2 terabite free agent Seagate drive at all.
>>> I was calling the 2 terabite drive a 2 gig drive in my last post  old
>>> habit I guess.  Does this tell anyone anything about my problem or
>>> wher i might go from here??                    Doug
>>>
>> Would someone please take a look at the above post and see if you can be
>> helpful in solving this problem.  I have not been able to open this Usb
>> drive and almost all my data is in it. If more info is needed I can try
>> to retrieve it.                             Doug
> What happens if you unplug the 150gig USB drive? I dunno, never having
> plugged in two USB drives at once, but could there be a master/slave
> thing going on?
>
> Trouble shooting with a shotgun here. But, I would think that you could
> just mount the darn thing, if you have identified it. Disk Utility
> (palimpsest) doesn't see it? Give that a whirl if you haven't tried it.
> Ric

   OK that is the problem Ric, I can't identify it in ubuntu except in
disk utility. It was working with the other two  usb drives in Ubuntu
9.10. I was working on vide useing the other two drives and would
occasionally back it all up on the 2tB drive. After installing 10.04 it
does not show up in ubuntu's computer file  so I can't mount it.  The
drive does not appear anyplace in Ubuntu but does show up in the bios as
a usb drive and in disk utility.  I was using both Cinelerra and Open
shot and of course there is some flakiness there so I felt I needed to
back up on a big drive after loosing a couple weeks work a few times.  I
am thinking there may be some thing going on in the Bios????    I will
read disk utility help and see if I can find anything there of
use.       Doug