Sounder mailing list - reply if you want it back

Jordon Bedwell jordon at envygeeks.com
Sun Jun 5 15:42:46 UTC 2011

On 6/5/2011 9:07 AM, Harry Strongburg wrote:
> <SNIP>
> ~all will result in softfail, which most mailservers will still accept
> (even if the IP address is not whitelisted), but will probably result in
> it being flagged as possible spam. For a personal email domain that you
> don't have a ton of users and don't have a large dynamic pool, you
> should prefer to use -all. -all will result in a fail/reject, and it
> won't be delivered if the mailserver is properly configured.
>
> PS: your emails are all softfailing, as your cox IP isn't whitelisted...
> you might want to fix that, and maybe change ~all to -all :)

~all is perfectly safe for production, it's in the wizard...  I'm not
going to sit here and explain to you how SPF works, although I will say
you are partially right. The wizard defaults to either ? or ~, as a
matter of fact, anybody who has ever used SPF should know that if you
are on mailing lists (like this one) you should be using ~all unless you
plan to add "a:chlorine.canonical.com"

SPF checks go to the record of the last server in the chain sending the
email, not the IP of the the user sending the email to the server, so
adding my computers current IP would be ignorant and a waste unless I'm
running an SMTP server on my computer, which I would never do
considering I have my own servers and I pay for 2 other providers to
give me backups, one of whom is obvious because I prefer to use their
SMTP servers. It also doesn't help that Canonical is forwarding email on
our behalf and I do not have them whitelisted either.

Reiteration: You do not have your *personal* IP in your SPF. And you are
wrong, it's soft-failing because I do not have Canonicals servers in my
SPF record.  Read:

The Port25 Solutions, Inc. team
Summary of Results
SPF check:          pass
DomainKeys check:   neutral
DKIM check:         neutral
Sender-ID check:    pass
SpamAssassin check: ham

Hey check that out. Get it? I'm real! I'm not spam, I'm ham!
Also, the average user should be using:

v=spf1 a:domain.tld/20 ~all
v=spf1 mx a:domain.tld/20 ~all
v=spf1 include:_spf.google.com ~all (as Google puts it)
http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?answer=178723