The problem ubuntu/canonical needs to address

arif tuhin etothepowerpi at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 4 10:22:37 UTC 2011

> Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 04:45:12 -0500
> From: jordon at envygeeks.com
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Re: The problem ubuntu/canonical needs to address
>
> On 6/4/2011 3:30 AM, arif tuhin wrote:
> > Actually i have one Xen VM which was upgraded from hardy to Lucid and
> > refused startX :). Although it was minor issue , solved after applying a
> > patch to xorg libraries.
>
> > Another problem regarding online upgrade which is not ubuntu's fault is
> > many mirrors stays behind/not properly synced the master mirror. Some
> > times it gives a false scenario when someone is upgrading. You may
> > think you are updated and ready to jump distribution, but in practice
> > couple of your packages will surely break. It happened to me once. My
> > local mirror was shipping new iso, but the erlier version packages were
> > behind by two weeks. After i upgraded it broke gnome panel and compiz.
> > After some tweaking it was ok.
>
> You can't blame Ubuntu for a Xen issue and that is a classic *Xen*
> issue.  Regardless of whether or not you would like it to be it's not
> Ubuntu's fault and never will be.  It also depends on who and how your
> hypervisor is setup and how your images are setup too.
>
> If a package is two weeks out of date on a mirror you need to contact
> #ubuntu-mirrors on irc.freenode.net or email mirrors at ubuntu.com and let
> them know. If I remember right, mirrors are asked to update every 6
> hours, but 2 weeks is unacceptable by even the worst sysadmins standards
> and I'm sure the mirror admins will not put up with that.

I'm not trying to blame anyone. I'm not a paid subscriber of canonical . So i do not think "blaming" is the right phrase to put here. I've been using ubuntu for nearly four years . I dont have any complains to ubuntu/canonical. I just want
canonical to succeed in business. Its a wish which comes from the acknowledgement to the ubuntu project. I'm just sharing my thoughts(Although the list is not meant for general discussion, i guess i'm guilty of that :)).

And i've tried to contact my mirror administrator (mirrors.ispros.com.bd/ubuntu) . In the web page they put up with the mirror to take feedback , my question about not synced mirror was put on hold for a long time and never answered.