Logitec USB Headset w/ Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 19:09:08 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 22:09 -0400, Tom wrote:
> Ian....lsusb yields headset at bus 6 device 002.
>
> Ric....set alsamix and pavucontrol...all okay now
>
> Thanks to both of you.

It DOES get a little confusing ...alsa/pulse. But, underneath the hood,
alsa is in ultimate control. pulse is between you (the user) and alsa.

The beauty of pulse, for me, is that if you used skype with your headset
mike, once you set it in pulse( with pavucontrol) it'll be there the
next time you crank up skype. No more futzing with sound input devices
again. You could use your desktop mike with a sound editor, set it with
pulse, and the next time you use the editor, it'll use that mike. Or,
change on the fly without having to exit your sound application. It just
happens, bingo, ready to go.

But, you have to make sure that all of those devices, both input or
output, are available to and used by alsa, for pulse to manage them. It
would be sweeter if there was an application that utilizes both, at
once, so the user isn't running back and forth between both alsamixer
and pavucontrol. That would be the bee's knees.

And yes, I used to ~loathe~ pulse, now I am a complete convert.

:) Ric

Linux user# 44256