how to remove bind?

Nick Edwards nick.z.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 00:32:51 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> On 31 May 2011 22:41, Nick Edwards <nick.z.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I do not wish to use the old  version of bind that ubuntu ships with.
>
> What release of Ubuntu, which version of Bind are you using? What

10.04

> version would you prefer? What package did you remove? Which packages
> got re-added?

I intend to use 9.8 from source, I removed anything that had bind/host/in it
that was related (I am 30 yr veteran of unix so not a newbie, but i am not
impressed with how ubuntu breaks things up into million tiny packages
all dependant upon critical things.

it wants to reinstall many things, some I could not remove because it wants
to remove half my systems packages, what sort of package manager works this
way, I heard everyone wrap about apt, i think it must have been wrote by
satan himself.

removals libbind and libisc's I thought I fudged it enough to remove dnsutil
and host etc, but clearly not enough.

it is outrageous that removal of these want to remove many such needed
programs
avahi, strongswan, amonsgt 20 other packages.

maybe ubuntu is not for me, and perhaps go back to gentoo

Al.