help with recover data from software raid 1

Franz Waldmüller waldbauernbub at gmx.at
Sat Jul 30 23:20:44 UTC 2011

Hi,

I want to recover files from a disk which has been part of a raid1
array. I don't want to mount it degraded, as all operations must be read
only.

Can I mount the partiton of the disk as an ext4 filesystem (the raid was
formatted as ext4.)?

Background:
In my server to harddisks are used in mirrored array to save all
important data.
/dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdc1

today I created another md-device with the created partitions /dev/sdb2
and /dev/sdc2. Unfortunately I didn't edit the /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
file properly.
When I rebooted the server I checked /proc/mdstat
and saw the following resync process:

md1 : active raid1 sdc[1] sdb2[0]
       391382976 blocks [2/2] [UU]
       [>....................]  resync =  0.1% (745088/391382976)

That is wrong, as the first device is sdc, but it should be sdc2.
I halted the server and now have to recover the files from /dev/sdb1.
/dev/sdc1 could have suffered damage from the resync process.

I hope that you can help me with your advice.

Franz