Went Back To Windows(R)...

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 21:36:04 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-07-30 at 22:10 +0100, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Jordon Bedwell wrote:
>
> > On 30/07/11 06:00, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> > > So Linux being incompatible with large swathes of hardware is
> > > because the users are idiots? That's hardly useful as far as
> > > gaining support for more hardware.
> >
> > I think you are a bit confused about how the world really works if you
> > think that is the case.
>

> No, that's how it appeared you believed it to be, given the statement
> of yours to which I was replying.

Back in 1999, Red Hat did a clever bit of marketing with their "Red Hat
Certified Ready" label. Everyone and their brother submitted various
bits of gear to their RTP testing lab, for "certification" that it would
readily work with Red Hat. You'd see that label promoted on web sites
offering various bits, like keyboards, hubs, switches, modems, you name
it, like crazy. I don't see that anymore. It still exists I would
imagine, it just doesn't carry the weight like it used to. Microsoft
still carries that weight. So, I think Jordon's point is that the
various manufacturers and distributors will provide the needed support
for their devices for Windows, darn near every time, while Linux barely
rates a passing nod. That is the real world I think he alluded to.

If Ubuntu were to create a "Ubuntu Ready Certification" marketing
program, I think we might see more support happen. Even if it were just
a web page devoted to user feed-back and notes, but officially supported
by Ubuntu personnel and not some third party lame-o effort to get free
kit. Just my two-cents. Ric

Linux user# 44256