Went Back To Windows(R)...

Jordon Bedwell jordon at envygeeks.com
Sat Jul 30 18:32:57 UTC 2011

On 30/07/11 06:00, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> So Linux being incompatible with large swathes of hardware is because
> the users are idiots? That's hardly useful as far as gaining support
> for more hardware.

I think you are a bit confused about how the world really works if you
think that is the case.  Here is the deal, just to fill you in... for a
long time everybody was kept in the dark when it came to ATI, it was a
guessing game, most of the time it didn't work out so well but sometimes
it did.  It wasn't till a few years ago that ATI opened up a bit and we
finally started getting somewhere, "yay 3D!" and it wasn't until
recently that we really did start getting somewhere.  It is obviously
Linux's fault right? I mean they should have broken into ATI's
headquarters and stolen everything they needed to build rock solid
drivers so, it's obviously Linux's fault.

My bad, I always thought it was up to the guys who made the hardware to
build the drivers and give it support, I mean damn it seems like when I
go buy a graphics card it always has a driver with it to give Windows
support for it, but it always seems to lack a Linux driver, guess it was
really Microsoft doing all that hard work building the drivers right?

Yes, Linux does build a lot of drivers, yes some hardware makers do
commit to the Kernel to give better hardware support for their hardware.
Why? Because they have to, or Linux would get nowhere, but it's not
Linux's fault for the lack of hardware support, it's the hardware makers
fault.  Get with the program sir.