Need Help - system crash

ANDY sirald66 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 20:53:33 UTC 2011

DELL LATITUDE D600
UBUNTU 9.10 +proposed
LINUX 2.6.31-23-generic

System froze, repeating audio/caps lock/drive light.

Reboot.  After initial Ubuntu logo, flash of graphic noise then blank
screen.  Hit ESC to find:

  mount: mounting /dev/disk/by-uuid/[long id here] on /root
  failed:  Invalid argument
  mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No such file or directory
  mount: mounting /dev on /root/dev failed: No such file or directory
  mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No such file or directory
  mount: mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: No such file or directory
  Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init.
  No init found. Try passing init= bootarg.

  BusyBox v1.13.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.13.3-1ubuntu7) built-in shell (ash)
  Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

  (initramfs)

Tried rebooting to standard then recovery image of current and previous
kernals.  Last error was, "EXT4-fs (sda1): error loading journal".

I have LiveCD 9.10 and 10.04, though I want to stay with 9.10.

As usual, I have tons of files that need to be recovered; I'm assuming
something is left since it boots to BusyBox.

Suggestions?

ANDY - Salt Lake, UT US