salvaging a dying hard disk

Ernest Doub hideserted at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 18:07:23 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 12:19 AM, Jacob Mansfield <cyberjacob at gmail.com>wrote:

> you should only chill the drive for fifteen to twenty mins. otherwise the
> read arm will freeze into position, and then your drive /is/ dead
> Jacob Mansfield
> Programmer
> CyberKing Solutions™
> --
> Air conditioned environment - do not open windows!

> Not true.  The precisely machined surfaces of the bearing face shrink
towards the center of mass for the outer and inner races as the temperature
drops.  These bearings are designed for correct clearances for most
efficient operation to be achieved at the normal operating temperature of
the drive which is usually close to 50deg. Centigrade.They will function
correctly up to 90deg. Centigrade or higher.
They are made of a precision bronze alloy and the metal will experience
enough shrinkage at - 0deg. Centigrade for a stuck bearing to free itself
for an indeterminate period of time.
The read/write head will also be slightly farther away from the platter but
still within designed operating tolerance.
You have to chill the drive long enough so that all of the internal
components reach a stable low temperature.  15 to 20 minutes will only give
you a chilled outer casing unless you have access to a commercial cryo-chill
facility.

> On 29 July 2011 07:36, nathan nolast <nathan1465 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> im interested in knowing if the freezer trick works, please keep us up to
>> date. I would make sure you are ready to copy over your needed data in the
>> event that it does work for a short amount of time.  I had a friend that
>>
>> 1. pre chilled the drive in the freezer
>> 2. set up the hdd to be connected and run from the freezer via USB
>>

>> and it worked for him. good luck.

>>> Colin
>>>
>>> It will be a bit before I can try it but I'll let you all know what
>>> happens.
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Thank you for your time
>> ~Nathan
>> nathan1465 at gmail.com
>>

>> --

When Government fears the people there is Liberty.
When People fear the Government there is Tyranny.