nvidia driver enabling in 11.04?

R Kimber richardkimber at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 29 11:51:35 UTC 2011

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 16:51:19 -0700
Dave Stevens wrote:

> My friend has a U11.04 box with an nvidia 240 GPU. He complained of
> graphic speed issues. I can verify that it is slow. I looked to see what
> driver was in use and in particular checked for the manufactiurer's
> driver. I seems that the nvidia driver is installed but not enabled. How

How did you check that it was not enabled?  There is a long-standing bug in
the program that detects whether proprietary drivers are in use that shows
the driver as not enabled when it actually is. You could try using
nvidia-settings to check, or you might notice the nvidia splash screen when
you reboot.

For what it's worth, I find 11.04 to be slower than previous versions. And
I also started to get graphic corruption when switching desktops as soon as
I upgraded to 11.04.  My guess is that there's also a problem either with
the driver or with some aspect of the X system.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources