salvaging a dying hard disk

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 28 15:29:04 UTC 2011

On 28 July 2011 16:00, compdoc <compdoc at hotrodpc.com> wrote:
> [...]
> Freezing hard drives sounds a bit voodoo to me - you might have the same
> luck by swinging a dead cat over your head three times. But good luck, and
> let us know if it helped…

I am not sure it is quite as much voodoo as swinging a cat (dead or
alive).  At least putting it in the freezer is having some effect on
it (ie making it colder).  That will have *some* effect on the
operation of the electronics, magnetics and mechanics.  Whether it has
any material effect and whether that effect is beneficial or otherwise
is another matter.

Colin