salvaging a dying hard disk

Ernest Doub hideserted at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 15:21:12 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 8:00 AM, compdoc <compdoc at hotrodpc.com> wrote:

> >I have never had to use Spinrite to recover data before****
>
> >and had forgotten about it. Unfortunately it doesn't see the disk either.
> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Spinrite is a great tool, but it has a few flaws: it's too old now and
> can't work with disks that are 1TB or larger. And if you have a lot of bad
> sectors, it can literally takes days to try to fix things. Working your
> drive for days might not be the best thing for a failing disk.****
>
> ** **
>
> Freezing hard drives sounds a bit voodoo to me - you might have the same
> luck by swinging a dead cat over your head three times. But good luck, and
> let us know if it helped…****
>

> ****

The freezer technique works if there is a stuck read/write head. No voodoo
involved, simple physics.  The reduction in temperature changes the
dimensions of moving parts enough to [sometimes] allow a stuck mechanism to
unstick long enough to perform data recovery.
The clearances on these drives are in the ten thousandths of an inch range
[or metric equivalent] so a temperature reduction below the normal operating
range can unstick a stuck bearing.
If there is surface damage to the platter or a failure of the supporting
hardware you are sadly out of luck.

--
When Government fears the people there is Liberty.
When People fear the Government there is Tyranny.