salvaging a dying hard disk

Curt ctres at grics.net
Wed Jul 27 16:47:06 UTC 2011

On 07/27/2011 11:12 AM, compdoc wrote:

> >It is an internal drive. However I do have a USB/SATA adapter
>
> >I could try. not sure if that would make a difference or not.
>
> Internal connections are the best way. Leave it as is. Since you've
> booted Ubuntu Live, you have the gnome Disk Manager (palimpsest). Does
> that see the drive?
>
> Does the drive show up in the motherboard bios?

Neither disk manager nor BIOS see the drive.
BIOS also does not see the good one, though disk manager does.
Both are SATA disks.
The motherboard is an ASUS A7V8X-X. Unlike my newer mobo, the BIOS in
this one does not have a boot option that shows all connected hard
drives, only "CD-ROM", "Removable Device", "IDE Hard Drive" and "Other
boot device".
IDE is showing only "none" and "disabled" for choices.