salvaging a dying hard disk

Curt ctres at grics.net
Wed Jul 27 15:26:45 UTC 2011

On 07/27/2011 09:55 AM, nathan nolast wrote:
> is the drive an internal drive or an external drive? have you tried
> any of the "put your hard drive in the freezer" tricks?
It is an internal drive. However I do have a USB/SATA adapter I could
try. not sure if that would make a difference or not.
Haven't tried the freezer trick yet.

> have you tried to mount the drive from terminal? from my understanding
> there is a force mount option "-o force"
I hadn't but now I have...
Since the disk that shows is /dev/sda I guess it's reasonable to assume
the other one is /dev/sdb. I made a dir "sickdisk" and tried "sudo mount
-t ext3 /dev/sdb /media/sickdisk" (without -o force) but the terminal
responded "special device /dev/sdb does not exist" .... and with the -o
force option, it returned:
">" only.

I've unmounted /dev/sda but find that both drives feel like they are
spinning.
Maybe there's some other problem?