[OT] Handling of suspicious emails

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Tue Jul 26 20:10:11 UTC 2011

On 07/26/2011 03:44 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> All of my internet activities take place on the Unbutu/Firefox
> combination.  So is there any harm in just opening a suspect email to
> verify that it is in fact something I want no part of?
>
> I ask because yesterday I almost sent an important email to the junk
> folder because I mistook it for spam/scam.
>
> Regards,  Jim

I don't want to say "no" out of hand.  Theoretically, it is possible for
a bug in Firefox that would allow a cross platform exploit to do some
mischief.  However, I am not aware of any such running loose in the
wild. (That is, I am not aware of any known exploits being used to harm
Ubuntu computers that do not involve the user deliberately adding
extensions / plugins to Firefox.) My advise would be to not worry about
viewing e-mail you receive.