how to connect Tata Docomo USB modem in Lucid

Abhishek Dixit abhidixit87 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 07:18:55 UTC 2011

2011/7/24 সাজেদুর রহিম জোয়ারদার <toshazed at gmail.com>:
> Dear Abhishek
>
> I am 'ring', trying to resolve your Tata Docomo connection problem.
>
> May I have some screenshots of your system and the workflow that you are
> doing. Such as setting up the connection, trying to connect, failed msg etc.
>
> Plese upload the pics into your picasa account and share the links here as
> though mailing list didn't allow attachments.
>
> With regards
> --

Thanks Ring I am describing all the steps starting from scratch

Step 1)
I bought a USB modem and lsusb shows
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 05c6:9000 Qualcomm, Inc.

Step 2) Following is /var/log/messages when I connect the USB modem (
usb-modeswitch was not present when I connected initially )

http://paste.ubuntu.com/651054/

Step 3) Now I after some Googling came to know  i usb-modswitch so
installed usb-modeswitch (via synaptics)
and connected the USB modem to laptop the color of light  changed green

Step 4) and /var/log/messages after usb-modswitch was installed
http://paste.ubuntu.com/651053/

Step 5) and lsusb showed

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 05c6:9000 Qualcomm, Inc.

Step 6)  but I noted here even after installing usb-modswitch the config file

/etc/usb_modeswitch.d/05c6\:9000

was missing so I created the file  as given on following link

 the file /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/05c6\:9000  contains

DefaultVendor=  0x05c6
DefaultProduct= 0x9000

TargetVendor=   0x05c6
TargetProduct=  0x9000

MessageContent="5553424312345678000000000000061b000000020000000000000000000000"

(can also see it here http://paste.ubuntu.com/651056/)

and I verified it ,if it is working by following command

Step 7)
root at bond:~# usb_modeswitch -W -c /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/05c6\:9000
the output of above command is
http://paste.ubuntu.com/651057/
and the problem of above output I note is line no 110,111

USB error: error sending control message: Broken pipe
Error: could not get description string "product"

Step 8)
Now being sure of the fact that modem has been detected on my system
 I did
modprobe usbserial vendor=0x056c product=9000

Step 9) As per this blog
http://ershadk.wordpress.com/2010/03/30/connect-tata-docomo-internet-in-ubuntu-9-04/
I had created a new connection in
System-->Preferences-->Mobile Broadband-->Add ----here I had added Tata Docomo

you can see the corresponding snapshots here
https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/MicromaxMmx372GUsbModemConnectionProblem

the connection option in antenna applet for this new mobile broadband
connection on system tray did appear
but upon selecting it was not able to connect to internet.

Without installing usb-modeswitch this option was not coming.So I
think some thing did  proceded but not fully.

I have also tried using wvdialconf and wvdial and they have also not
been able to work.
The wvdialconf output was following
http://paste.ubuntu.com/651058/
wvdial.conf by above was ----> http://paste.ubuntu.com/651061/
and attempt to dial using wvdial resulted in following
http://paste.ubuntu.com/651060/

Some thing is still missing because of which it could not connect to Internet.
What is that,this is not clear to me.
--------
Regards
Abhi