how to get rid of the request of typing in password

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Sat Jul 23 23:23:19 UTC 2011

rombout mager wrote:

> to be secure for just in case. but removing the harddisk will give
> access to the data.... so.... what's the use after all.

Well, it depends on the sorts of access people have to the machine.
Setting it up for auto-login just means that people who have physical
access to the machine can easily do what they like on it. You're quite
right that with the right degree of determination somebody with physical
access can get at the data quite easily, though you could have an
encrypted home directory which would mean that even with physical access
they can't get at the data without the right password. It's generally
accepted that, password or no password, once an attacker has physical
access all bets are off.

> Okay, I'm new on the Ubuntu OS platform. So, I've got a lot to learn
> using it.

One thing that's worth remembering is that Linux will let you do things
that are, in general, not a good idea. You'll not be prevented from
doing these, since they're sometimes not a bad idea, but you will
probably be repeatedly told they're a bad idea. Password-less login is
one of those. :)

--
Avi