[OT] Linus Torvalds delays Linux 3.0 launch due to a subtle bug

Ben Tinner bentinner at yahoo.com.sg
Sat Jul 23 08:52:45 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, 20 July 2011 12:30 PM, Ernest Doub wrote:
On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 10:35 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:

On 20/07/11 14:21, Stephen Kuhn wrote:

>On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 13:17 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>

>>OMG! A BUG? IN LINUX?

When I read the story, the first thing which came to mind is this article:
>>>http://www.infoworld.com/d/applications/microsoft-struggles-get-hyper-v-drivers-in-linux-kernel-357
>>>
>>>Don't know why........
>>>
>>>BC

Well, that truly does explain THAT bit. M$ being "not on time" with a
>>project or with code. Yeppers. "Fashionably late", as it were. As well,
>>with Microsoft depositing code into the linux kernel, the next step is
>>to get the linux distributors to pay them $15 per copy sold - meaning
>>that "free as in beer" linux could be a thing of the past - shortly.
>>(Um, "Android Lessons" anyone?)

Strange that you should mention this.

>A comment I made to someone elsewhere is that I can visualise this piece of M$ code being patented - but provided under the GPL (?)v2 licence. But then some time along M$ comes in with, "Ooopsie, one of our "rogue" programmers, the very very naughty boy that he was!, provided this code for the Linux kernel but.....well..... it IS patented you know.....and so......".
>

>BC

 "Microsoft began contributing Hyper-V code to the Linux kernel two years
ago after Linux community members pointed out that Microsoft was violating the GPL software license by using open source components within a Hyper-V driver."

More likely, based on this quote, that they would have to dump their entire driver and start over again from scratch.
Microsoft has finally been busted for using ideas/code developed by somebody else and claiming as their own proprietary work.

ED

--
>Paradise is like Hell and neither is too far from you because both are creations of your mind and therefore both are already inside you.
>

>--

When Government fears the people there is Liberty.
When People fear the Government there is Tyranny.

--

I just found out that ithe 3.0.0 kernel will be lanuched on August or September. Please
do not worry.