Static IP addresses fail!

don fisher hdf3 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 22 09:04:24 UTC 2011

Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 22:23 -0700, don fisher wrote:
>> I am currently running Ubuntu 10.10 with no end of problems. How does
>> one assign a static IP address. I have tried the standard network
>> manager and WICD, all with no success. This used to be easy 10 years
>> ago! In Redhat-9 you just edited the interface description files and it
>> was done. Now they have made it so easy I can find no options!
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the attitude, but it has been a
>> long day trying to accomplish a trivial operation.
>>
>> Don
>
> It's still extremely easy to do.
> Edit the /etc/network/interfaces file.
>
> http://www.liberiangeek.net/2010/09/setup-permanent-static-ip-address-ubuntu-10-0410-10-maverick-meerkat/

Attached is my /etc/network/interfaces file. Using WICD I can get either
port to come up using DHCP. But I cannot get eth1 or eth0 to load with a
static address (using WICD).

I used to use ifup and ifdown. But ifup eth1 does nothing. When I
execute sudo ifup eth1 I receive the output from ifconfig --help.

I must have broken something. But I cannot determine what it is. Any
errors in my interfaces file?

Any ideas appreciated? I was just trying to bring up Samba, which was
almost trivial the last time (back in the dark ages) when I tried.

don