shutdown restarts laptop (and disables kb)

d~_*b theunknownandrew at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 05:07:23 UTC 2011

On 21 July 2011 18:27, Firesam <ubuntu at e17th.com> wrote:

> shutdown -P also does not power off. The computer still restarts. I am
> using gnome desktop and uname -a outputs
>        Linux xxx 2.6.38-10-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 28 15:07:17
>        UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I am not sure anymore about the mouse and keyboard bec they did not get
> disabled. I tried using the shutdown menu in gnome also and this time it
> did not cause the mouse and kb to not work. I don't know the exact
> circumstances but sometime my internal kb and mouse stop working. How
> can I track down the cause of this? Can it be related to the power off
> problem?

Do you have multiple kernels installed, try to boot into one different
from the  current one and check if the problem re-occurs.
If you do not could you try installing a lower version of the kernel and check?

Just wondering if you made any recent upgrades to the system, thats all

--
& Ru Chelladurai