Name resolution in small network

Jordon Bedwell jordon at envygeeks.com
Thu Jul 21 21:05:41 UTC 2011

On 07/21/2011 03:42 PM, don fisher wrote:
> I have a bunch of laptops currently running a mix of Linux and Windoz.

http://windozgrill.com/ ? I need one of those laptops so that I can get
me some free food like you do.  Let me know where I can buy one.

> have recently tried to bring up Samba so that I could share files
> easily. With the Linux systems, I have always used /etc/hosts to resolve
> names. But with the addition of Samba and the Microsoft products, this
> does not work (at least as far as I know).

You just happen to be lucky I migrate people from Windows to Linux:
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\Hosts

Not really lucky, because anybody could have figured out that out easily

> I have a router that provides DHCP name resolution. If I use DHCP with
> my Linux hosts, Windoz reads the router and resolved their IP address.
> But I do not know how to make Linux read the router and resolve the
> Windoz DHCP addresses.

vim /etc/nsswitch.conf: hosts: files dns wins
apt-get install winbind --no-install-recommends