[OT] Linus Torvalds delays Linux 3.0 launch due to a subtle bug

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Thu Jul 21 14:01:01 UTC 2011

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 21:12 +0100, Avi wrote:
> > Ernest Doub wrote:
> >
> > > "Microsoft began contributing Hyper-V code to the Linux kernel two
> > > years ago after Linux community members pointed out that Microsoft
> > > was violating the GPL software
> > > license<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/23/microsoft_hyperv_gpl_violation/>by
> > > using open source components within a Hyper-V driver."
> > >
> > > More likely, based on this quote, that they would have to dump
> > > their entire driver and start over again from scratch.
> > > Microsoft has finally been busted for using ideas/code developed
> > > by somebody else and claiming as their own proprietary work.
> >
> > No. They would have to comply with the GPL. Which they did. Two
> > years ago.
> >
> > What has a bug in Linux 3.0 got to do with Microsoft anyway?
>
> Because maybe there are trying to release with the Hyper V-code
> feature working?

It already works. It worked two years ago. This bug has nothing to do
with that module at all. I've no idea why Basil brought it up.

> So, I would expect a 3.0 release to have some major feature
> improvement or a new inclusion. Ric

Don't. It's been repeatedly and unequivocally stated that it's just
2.6.40 that happens to have a different version number. It's precisely
the lack of any upcoming sudden major improvement that's lead to 3 being
released now, rather than it being kept until that feature.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/5/29/204

--
Avi