PenDrive Linux vs full install?

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Thu Jul 21 12:35:29 UTC 2011

Hi, Alan!

On 21/07/2011 14:31, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 21 July 2011 13:30, Gilles Gravier <ggravier at fsfe.org> wrote:
>> Other option : put the USB stick in a machine. A CD in same machine...
>> and perform a full installation of Ubuntu on that USB stick...
>> Advantages, I can then run full updates. The whole stick is a disk with
>> Ubuntu and data on it. Complete persistance of state. But... what are
>> the inconvenients? Anybody try that? What do you think?
>>
> That's what I did with a 32GB USB stick. Works rather well.
I hoped it would. :) My reasonning was that since Ubuntu loads all and
everything dynamically during boot... having it on a stick and poking
that at any kind of hardware should work...
> Just make sure you install GRUB to the USB stick and not the internal
> disk. This is an option during the installer.
That would pretty much mess up my installation machine indeed. :D Just
to be sure, doing that on a machine that doesn't risk too much... :D

Thanks, Alan for confirming that it should work.

On my way to installing that now... Will confirm that all works well
when it's done. Give me a bit of time. :D

Gilles.