[OT] Linus Torvalds delays Linux 3.0 launch due to a subtle bug

Jordon Bedwell jordon at envygeeks.com
Wed Jul 20 22:12:16 UTC 2011

On 07/20/2011 04:58 PM, Robert Spanjaard wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 11:12:43 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> *LINUX FOUNDER* Linus Torvalds has said that he's delaying the release
>> of Linux 3.0 due to the discovery of a bug.
>>
>> Torvalds announced back in May that the Linux 2.6.40 kernel will be
>> rebadged as the Linux 3.0 kernel
>> <http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2074875/linus-torvalds-christens-linux-kernel>.
>> The projected release date of Linux 3.0 was supposed to be today, but in
>> a post on Google+, Torvalds explained that the discovery
>> <https://plus.google.com/102150693225130002912/posts/2BXkWyrY4jH#102150693225130002912/posts/2BXkWyrY4jH>
>> of a "subtle pathname lookup bug" has delayed the release.
>>
>> [Full story]
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2095102/linus-torvalds-delays-linux-launch-subtle-bug?WT.rss_f=&WT.rss_a=Linus+Torvalds+delays+Linux+3.0+launch+due+to+a+subtle+bug
>
> While this may seem like a good idea at first thought, It also means that
> a lot of bug_fixes_ get delayed this way.

Not necessarily, they could get committed during this bug commit. There
is no policy that states it can't happen. As a matter of fact it would
be counter productive to not test and commit those patches to the kernel
as well if a bug is found while addressing this one. I don't even think
it will delay the bug discovery phase in Fedora and Ubuntu at all either.