Forbidden(Server error)

Avi lists at avi.co
Wed Jul 20 18:33:49 UTC 2011

Amrit Pal Pathak wrote:
>     Can you tell me who is www-data user?

www-data is the user the apache process runs as.

>     Above threads shows the output of apache users with
> permission.Please tell me what i can do now.

No it doesn't. That reply shows the apache processes running and a few
stats.

If you do

ls -ld /var/www/directory
ls -l /var/www/directory

Then you will first have the permissions of the directory named
'directory' and then those of its contents.

I very much suggest you seek out a book (e-book or paper one) on Linux
and running servers in particular. Without meaning to offend, you're
asking the sorts of questions that suggest you know roughly what you
want but don't understand what you need to do to get there - this is
entirely understandable, it *is* a complicated system.

You will find it's a lot easier if you begin by reading up to some
level of understanding, and then try doing putting it into practice
rather than repeatedly trying things and finding they don't work.

We're happy to keep answering your questions, but you'll be a lot more
effective if you can just run the commands yourself and know what the
output means than need to ask us what to run each time, and then come
back for deciphering of the output.

I'm really not in a position to reccomend such a book, unfortunately,
but there does seem to be a good selection of paper books on running
Ubuntu servers. Perhaps it'd be worth starting a thread on the subject
if running Ubuntu servers is something you intend to get into.

--
Avi