why is kdm running at all?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 18 01:45:06 UTC 2011

On 07/17/2011 06:27 PM, Bill Walton wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 8:15 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On 07/17/2011 04:18 PM, Bill Walton wrote:
>>> I've got an ec2 instance running 8.04 LTS.  It started life as an ami
>>> that Eric Hammond created / contributed.  TOP is showing kdm taking
>>> 95-100% cpu.  Why is kdm running at all on a server that can't be
>>> accessed via anything but ssh?   Much less talking that much cpu?  Is
>>> there something I can do to reduce / eliminate the usage by kdm?
>>
>> Don't know. You could always ask on:
>> http://alestic.com/support
>
> Agreed.  Should have thought of that.  Just posted the question there.
>
> But let me ask it differently.  Is there a reason that kdm on Hardy
> would be running at a high level of cpu utilization, or any
> utilization at all, when there is nothing but an ssh terminal
> accessing it for display purposes?  Does kdm serve uses other than
> terminal / screen output that might explain this?

Not that I'm aware of.
$ ps aux | grep kdm
gg        6795  0.0  0.0   4008   524 pts/2    D+   18:35   0:00 grep
--color=auto kdm

the odd part is that the process PID changes each time:
$ ps auw | grep kdm
gg        6878  0.0  0.0   4008   752 pts/2    S+   18:43   0:00 grep
--color=auto kdm

I seem to recall that there was a thread sometime back that indicated
that this process isn't the actual 'kdm' but is an x process of sorts.
I'll see if I can find it.