Options for managing removable drives and media in ubuntu 10.04

Avi lists at avi.co
Sun Jul 17 18:13:03 UTC 2011

Goku. wrote:
> I've also read that you can edit the fstab file to fix these
> problems with USB devices, so I also tried adding these lines:
>
> / dev / sdb / mnt / usb vfat users, exec, noauto, noatime, rw 0 0
>
> / dev / sda / mnt / pendrive auto rw, user, noauto 0 1

These lines, as they're written above, won't work. There's a lot of
extraneous whitespace. They should probably read

/dev/sdb /mnt/usb vfat users,exec,noauto,noatime,rw 0 0
/dev/sda /mnt/pendrive auto rw,user,noauto 0 1

/dev/sdb and /dev/sda are the paths to the two devices. and /mnt/usb
and /mnt/pendrive are the paths to their respective
mountpoints. The options lists also need to be comma-separated rather
than comma-and-space separated.

/etc/fstab (and a lot of linxy things) uses whitespace as
a delimiter, so if you put it in where it's not wanted the computer
might to unexpected things.

--
Avi