2.6.38 kernel not booting

Jens Müller blog at tessarakt.de
Sun Jul 17 08:17:53 UTC 2011

Am 16.07.2011 23:39, schrieb Jens Müller:
> Am 16.07.2011 22:32, schrieb Jens Müller:
>> Only the 2.6.35 from before the release upgrade to 11.04 works.
>>
>> The problem with (two versions of) 2.6.38 is: After I choose it from the
>> grub menu, there is only a blue screen (not a bluescreen, but the same
>> blue). Dunno why, or where it comes from. I'd have thought the grub
>> config including all the nice graphic config would be installed
>> everytime I run update-grub.
>>
>> 2.6.35 has a graphical display asking me for the password.
>
> Thanks to advice from IRC, I edited the grub command line for the 2.6.38
> kernel. I still had the blue screen. But I now typed the crypt password
> blind. This lead to the kernel booting up. But I got no further than this:
>
> https://plus.google.com/100569900232995150169/posts/YXW5G7PsRDw
>
> (this is a real screen shot, at least of the interesting part).
>
> Any further ideas?

OK, I got another bit further: I booted the usable 2.6.35 again. As this
seemed to be mostly a graphics problem, I searched for nvidia-related bugs.

I did dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-current. Unfortunately, this broke my
2.6.35 - headers for it not installed, and no longer available from the
default repositories.

But now I could boot the 2.6.38 (edit grub command line - change
"splash" to "text", type dmcrypt password blind). It booted up. It
_said_ that it started kdm, but no kdm screen appeared. But I could
change to a console with Alt-F1. sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart indeed
yielded a usable kdm.

In summary: I know now I can boot the system with the current kernel,
but there are still two not so nice issues (no dmcrypt password prompt,
having to (re)start kdm manually) I'd like to get rid of.

Any hints are welcome.

Jens