Ubuntu login black screen at boot up

Amrit Pal Pathak amritpalpathak1 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 06:47:26 UTC 2011

Well till now i am unable to fix it.I just login into black screen
successfully.I can do "cd" to home folder and others too.I tried to copy my
important directories from home folder to hard drive but still i gives the
strange error.
I did.

 sudo cp kannel /media/data
                                                                Here data is
name of hard drive .It gives following error message.

/bin/cp: /:Syntax Error: word unexpected(expecting")")

Please help me to copy it so then i will again installed my ubuntu(no option
left)

Thanks
amritpalpathak.blogspot.com