Machine won't boot with maverick - natty kernels

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 10 18:45:04 UTC 2011

On 07/10/2011 09:57 AM, Pierre Meurisse wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 07:39:46AM +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 10 July 2011 03:41, Pierre Meurisse <pierre.meurisse at laposte.net> wrote:
>> > Hi !
>> >
>> > I'm running 10.10 on my X71SL amd64 asus machine. It's an upgrade from 10.04.
>> > I can't run linux-image-2.6.35-25-generic that came with maverick.
>> > I have to keep the 2.6.32 wich works all right.
>> >
>> > I wrote bug report 718826 that led to nothing :
>> >
>> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-lts-backport-maverick/+bug/718826?comments=all
>>
>> I note that bug expired because you did not reply to comment #4.  Is
>> that what you mean when you say it led to nothing?
>>
> #4 came more than one month after #3. After several weeks with no response,
> I didn't look at the report any more. As ubuntu is not my main distribution,
> I let it as it is and I came back to it, trying a 11.04 CD a few days ago.
> Doesn't work either.
>
> What can I do now ?

The first thing I'd do is respond to the the bug report & get it started
again. At least that way you have the possibility of a developer looking
at it.

> 11.04 boots with the 2.6.38 doesn't it ?

Yes. With the liveCD, select the option 'acpi=off' and see if that makes
any difference. Also, I note that your dmesg shows eth0 is
auto-negotiating itself into the ether... maybe related to:
[Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 191 Gigabit Ethernet ]