Maintaining all packages when reinstalling the ubuntu OS?

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Fri Jul 8 06:44:20 UTC 2011

On 07/08/2011 02:18 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> I'd be very careful with that last bit. With a major jump from 8.04 to
> 10.4 there is bound to be some conf files that should not be restored.
> The trick would be which ones? It might be better to leave the new conf
> files in place and use the old ones as a reference to edit the new ones
> by. Ric

In this case the OP is reinstalling the same version, 10.04 and 10.04.
There should be no problem. I think you're confusing this with another
thread.

Even then, other than .kde or er, the gnome equivalent, most other
config files, like .opera, .mozilla, .thunderbird, chromium dir, etc..
beautifully changes the config files when it detects the new version has
been installed. And even as, in my case, I share the same config files
throughout different versions and different OS; though I will not
recommend it.

As for .kde and er, the gnome equivalent, a careful resetting of each
'modules', like kmail or er evolution may save much time than in
resetting the whole thingamig  (thanks again to Nils for this).

But good of you to bring this up.

Regards - Goh Lip