Multi-protocol IM client that allows for grouping of contacts by protocol

Avi lists at avi.co
Thu Jul 7 22:31:48 UTC 2011

Morning All,

I'm actually asking this on behalf of someone else, but I've not found
the answer myself so I'm hoping you can help.

He's after a multi-protocol IM client where the contacts can be grouped
by protocol or account. It seems like a fairly reasonable request, so
I'm a bit perplexed that nobody else appears to have implemented it yet.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Feel free to ignore any other aspects
of the client (general usability, supported protocols and OSs etc.) for
now :)

--
Avi