Best Alternative Operating System To Ubuntu?

Robert Swanson mapa-kettle at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 7 21:03:04 UTC 2011

On Monday 27 June 2011 14:33, ANDY wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Jesse Palser <SLNTHERO at aol.com> wrote:
> > Best Alternative Operating System To Ubuntu?
>
> Some good summaries are below.
>
> http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

	If you want the ultimate in configurability and speed, then I would choose
Gentoo.  It is not conventional, in the sense that there are regular
releases.  You keep your system up to date by using the command
emerge --sync.  It is a portage based system and you can add programs to your
system from a very large list by simply emerging them.
	If you want to know more, just go to Gentoo.org
I prefer Gentoo for all my other operations, but the family computer, this
one, will run Kubuntu forever simply because my wife doesn't like to have to
learn about computer programs, she just wants her email and browser to work
trouble free.
Bob