video card recommendation ?

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Thu Jul 7 04:36:55 UTC 2011

On 07/07/2011 11:34 AM, Bill Walton wrote:

> In SPM I get a button to upgrade to 10.04 LTS so I figure wtf, give it
> a try.  Same result sort of.  It looks like it didn't trash the
> xorg.conf file because when I rebooted when the upgrade completed the
> screen was full-width and good resolution.  BUT, the machine just
> hangs there at the splash panel.  No login screen.  Just hangs.  Have
> to unplug the machine to get it to turn off.  So... does this sound
> like a video card issue?  I can go over and get a new card if it does,
> for sure.  It turns out I really need to get this machine set up with
> 10.04 because I have to have a newer version of git than Hardy
> supports (and I tried to just compile git from source and that's
> throwing up on ./configure).  Any help would really really be
> appreciated.  I've been at this for the better part of 3 days now.
> 8.04 was really easy.  What gives with 10.04?

It may be just be  splash and not video card, to test this, at boot,
edit the grub menu (press 'e' at grub menu, remove 'splash' and 'quiet',
'ctrl' + 'x' to boot) and see if that's now okay.

If not, then edit the grub menu again and add 'nomodeset' (without
apostrophes) to that linux line as well and boot. Then it's the video
card settings.

When booted, rectify the video, if applicable.

If it is just splash, er, I'm sorry there's some changes to the setup
and I don't know how it's done now, but if you want to completely bypass
splash, edit /etc/default/grub and modify the line that contain "slash'
and 'quiet' and remove that, save, and back at terminal, 'sudo grub-update'

If you want to rectify splash, someone else please help Bill.
('sudo dpkg-reconfigure usplash' or 'sudo update-alternatives --config
usplash-artwork.so' don't work now, I think)

Regards - Goh Lip

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.