video card recommendation ?

Bill Walton bwalton.im at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 14:51:12 UTC 2011

Hi Ric,

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-07-04 at 10:22 -0500, Bill Walton wrote:
<snip>

> Bill, back in 8.04 it would by default set up your /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> file for you. In 10.4 not.

Thanks for confirming the change.  Helps to know it's not something
I'm doing wrong at that level, at least ;-)

 >IF< you can get that far into a working
> graphic session, open the nVidia X-server setup tool, set up your
> preferences, apply them and allow it to write out your xorg.conf file.
> Before exiting, open a terminal and check the contents of that file just
> to be sure you don't have a zero length file. A reboot and all should be
> dandy. The option to write out that file is obscure on that menu... it's
> on the second tab "X Screen Display Configuration" down near the bottom.
> It SHOULD pop up and ask you for your password to proceed. If you can
> get this far, you should be good to go. Good luck! It's the getting to
> this point that is fraught with peril. Been here, done that. It worked.
> Ric

I'm going to try again next week with a fresh harddisk.  Would it work
to simply edit the xorg.conf content, copying in the content from the
8.04 LTS install, from a terminal session?

Thanks again,
Bill