Acceptable format for posts to this list

Jordon Bedwell jordon at envygeeks.com
Wed Jul 6 14:30:01 UTC 2011

On Wed, July 6, 2011 7:05 am, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> Agreed. Just as QUITE A LOT of business people driving a lot of money
> and value around this planet exchange HTML formatted e-mail because it
> lets them express much better the messages they are conveying thus to
> their customers or providers.

You could put your entire sentence in HTML and it will still be horrible.
_HTML does not make your English any clearer_ as you seem to imply, *HTML
does not help you convey text only messages any better* as you also seem
to imply. Most standard mail clients understand *bold* /italic/ and
_underline_.

Most of the corporate world expresses text only email as HTML email
because it's become the default in most clients started by the one and
only, you know who.

> I suggest all people that want to force the world back to 1980s text
> only e-mail rather shift to telex... probably more suited to their needs.

Just because I have a 50Mb line at home and a 1Gb dedicated line at the
office doesn't mean I like to waste bandwidth or do stupid things like
say: "Yo man, our meeting has changed from 10:00AM to 3:00PM" with a bunch
of extra HTML that is certainly not needed.  The HTML won't make it any
clearer, as a matter of fact, it just adds extra cruft that I don't need.

> Seriously, though, there is a need for each formatting. Text is nice
> because it's low bandwidth, and can be read by antediluvian (look that
> word up in a dictionary if you need, it implies "before 1980") reader.
> But when it comes to capability to express more complex business
> situations... rich text is unbeatable... and since I don't like sending
> .DOC files (or .ODT) for that matter, if I can avoid it. HTML is the way
> to go when you need the capability to send complex business messages.

Unless you're sending rainbow text, it's not IMO. And by the time you send
me that rainbow text, I'll wonder where all my animated GIF's are at,
because rainbow text worth nothing without a bunch of flickering animated
GIF's. Now that would certainly set your HTML apart from plain text.

---

No, I'm not saying HTML doesn't have it's place, and no I'm certainly not
saying all email should be text. I am just arguing faulted logic, but then
again, my own logic could be faulted too.