Deja Vu all over again!

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Jul 5 06:30:28 UTC 2011

On 05/07/11 16:02, chris wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 15:02 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> from the rubyat
>> I prefer the interpretation (?second edition) where the last line reads:
>>

>> "As impotently moves as you or I".
>>
>> My favourite 2 stanzas are:
>>
>> But helpless Pieces of the Game He plays
>> Upon this chequer-board of Nights and
>> Days;
>> Hither and thither moves, and
>> checks, and slays,
>> And one by one back in the Closet lays.
>>

>> Strange is it not? that of the myriads who
>> Before us pass'd the door of
>> Darkness through,
>> Not one returns to tell us
>> of the Road,
>> Which to discover we must travel too.
>>

>> Yeah, OK, there is one more....
>>
>> Oh, threats of Hell and Hopes of Paradise!
>> One thing at least is certain - THIS Life flies;
>> One thing is certain and the rest is
>> Lies;
>> The flower that once has blown for ever dies.
>>

>> BC
>>
>> --
>> God must love crazy people. He keeps making so many of them.
>>

> A love of bread beneath the bough
> A jug of wine
> A book of verse
> and thou beside me in the wilderness
> a wilderness is paradise enou

Oh you sweet talking man, you :-[ . But..... I don't wear high heels nor
carry a handbag.... Sorry.... Nice of you to think of me though....

:-D

> Hows that from memory  :-)

Not bad! :-) .

But this and the bit about the "Moving Finger writes and having writ
Moves on...." are the most quoted stanzas from Omar Khayyam's "Rubaiyut"
and for some reason - "It's all in the mind you know" - I avoid them
even though the one about the Moving Finger is very spot on.

BC

--
God must love crazy people. He keeps making so many of them.