Hardware issue (once again)

Jordon Bedwell jordon at envygeeks.com
Tue Jul 5 01:52:17 UTC 2011

On 07/04/2011 11:42 AM, David Fletcher wrote:
> I'd make the same sort of suggestion about processors as I did about
> graphics cards - do you really need a high end one? I bought an OEM
> packaged so-called energy efficient AMD X2 I think it's called, and
> this OCZ heatsink that somebody said was good. Turned out to be a
> massive aluminium vanes on copper rods affair with a nice big fan that
> turns slowly enough to be inaudible and the whole thing runs almost
> cold. The PSU is an Antec Earthwatts 80+ job and I really can't feel
> any heat in the exhaust air.

$30 is hardly high-end, it's just mid-range really good most of the
time, I paid $120 for my on air CPU cooler (it was built to add air flow
around the memory too) and almost 3x that much for high-end liquid.
$30 goes a long ways when it comes to keeping your CPU cooler, that is
when it comes to normal-user high-loads.

Since I don't know the model of OCZ I can't help you other than to
suggest you hook it up to direct power out of control of the Mobo to
test it and disable cool-n-quiet (which will allow you to kick your fan
up to full RPM).  Just because a fan doesn't blow full RPM doesn't mean
your CPU isn't cooler too, please base your suggestions on fact, not
personal experience that so far seems to be that of misconfiguration or
user error.