video card recommendation ?

Bill Walton bwalton.im at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 15:22:59 UTC 2011

In the process of eliminating possible causes for the problem I'm
having with installing 10.04 LTS I decided to try the 8.04 LTS install
I have running on my other workstation.  It worked flawlessly, without
a single issue.  I've no idea what the problem is with 10.04.  I
double checked the MD5 Checksum on the download.  Did a verfify on the
CD I burned from the ISO.  Everything at that level checks out.

The 10.04 behavior is really strange.  The first time I ran the Live
CD the screen display was not an issue at all other than the message
that Ubuntu was going to run in low-graphics mode.  It didn't look
'low' so that was the first question mark.  I expected maybe 640x480
but it was much higher than that.  The issue surfaced when I rebooted
after the install.  I could not, still cannot, understand why the Live
CD could make use of the video card / monitor but the installed
version could not.  Why would Live CD not install as a default the
same settings its using?  After the initial install the use of Live CD
itself became an issue.  Sometimes Ubuntu would come up, sometimes
not.  Behavior varies from one boot cycle to the next.  Most recently
it's come up to the splash screen (with the 5 little buttons under
'Ubuntu' on a red / purple background) and just sits there.

Thanks for the help.  Wish I could return the favor with a bug report
but I just don't have time to spend on identifying the root cause of
the problem at this point.  I can't get past the splash screen now in
any event so can't even get to a terminal to gather data to report
back with.  I'll get back to the 10.04 issue later, starting with a
fresh harddrive, but for now I need a second development environment
and 8.04 will do fine.

Best regards,
Bill